Topo Athletic Ultrafly 3
The Topo Athletic Ultrafly 3 is a good sturdy and roomy stability shoe with great foot lockdown.
Best deal at: jackrabbit.comBuy at the best price
Topo Athletic Ultrafly 3
Analysis of reviews
A good premium and comfortable stability shoe with a great upper that molds perfectly to the footThe Topo Athletic Ultrafly 3 is comfortable stability shoe with moderate cushioning and roomy upper. Overall, runners have been quite pleased with this new model of the Ultrafly collection. While the stack height of the Ultrafly 3 has been increased by 2 mm, the shoe is actually even more lightweight than previously with 269 g/9.49 oz for men and 238 g/8.40 oz for women. The additional cushioning throughout really molds to the foot for added stability and comfort. Let's note here that the Ultrafly 3 is a stability shoe with a moderate level of correction for overpronation, which makes it suitable for all runners. Testers also greatly appreciated the fabulous upper-shoe padding and mesh design, which has been described as "transcendent". The shoe's toe box is also pleasantly roomy and pliable to accommodate a variety of foot types, setting it apart from running shoes with a narrow design that may be uncomfortable for those with wider feet. This is one of the signature characteristics of Topo Athletic who aims to craft simple, no-nonsense, and sturdy running shoes. Lastly, the tongue of the Ultrafly 3 is another superb aspect of the shoe's design, providing just enough cushioning to tighten laces for support without any discomfort or bulkiness. Also, this is one shoe you can trust to fit true to size. The only true complaint that users of the Ultrafly 3 voiced pertains to the overly-soft Zipfoam used in the design, which impedes the springiness of the ride. Otherwise, the Ultrafly 3 gets consistently good marks for its unparalleled upper shoe construction, well-cushioned midsole, and padded tongue that provides just enough comfort and security when lacing.
Value for money
- Impeccable foot lockdown while leaving sufficient space for the foot (especially around the toes)
- Well ventilated shoe
- Relatively lightweight for a stability shoe for overpronation
- Simple, efficient and robust design
- Cushioning that lacks some springe to really have fun
Specification: Topo Athletic Ultrafly 3
back to menu ↑
- To begin with, the rubber outsole of the Topo Athletic Ultrafly 3 provides optimal wear and tear resistance. Also, this material offers an impeccable grip on urban surfaces even in wet weather to prevent accidental slipping.
- We also find a PEBAX propulsion plate under the forefoot to allow the foot to bounce better when pushing the ground.
- The midsole features the Zipfoam cushioning technology. It equips the shoe along its entire length. It is designed to be really resilient for a cushioning that lasts, even when the shoe is old. Its goal is to disperse impacts and provide a snappy ride.
- On the other hand, there is a Medial Post to stabilize the stride and prevent the foot from deviating excessively outwards (overpronation). It consists of a firm piece located in the midfoot area.
- The upper of the Topo Athletic Ultrafly 3 uses an engineered mesh. This configuration is designed to effectively lock-in the foot while running for optimal comfort. It is equipped with breathing holes to allow for better ventilation inside the shoe.
- Besides, the molded foam collar provides ideal comfort by comfortably wrapping the ankle.
- Then, the TPU heel counter pleasantly wedges the heel for a more pleasant and effective lockdown during training.
- Finally, the anatomical toe box allows the athlete to move their toes more easily while running for greater comfort. People with wide feet will particularly appreciate this design.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
How do Topo Athletic Ultrafly 3 shoes fit?
This road shoe follows a regular sizing chart. Testers who have tried the shoe confirm that it fits without surprise. You can therefore opt for your regular size for fitness shoes. However, if this is your first Topo Athletic model, it is advisable to visit the store to make sure you choose the right size.
Is this shoe suitable for overpronation athletes?
This model is designed to stabilize the stride and thus prevent pronation or supination of the foot during running. Therefore, this shoe has been specially developed for pronating and supine runners who want to correct their stride. Nevertheless, it should be noted that at the moment there is no scientific evidence establishing the advantage of stability shoes over neutral running shoes to reduce the risk of injury (and this regardless of the type of pronation of the runner’s stride). We therefore advise running with comfortable shoes first and foremost.
Is this road shoe suitable for heavy runners (80 kg or more)?
Only one study to date has looked at the link between sole thickness, weight and risk of injury. According to the results of this study, minimalist footwear may increase the risk of injury for athletes weighing more than 71 kilograms. Other than that, there is no advice for other types of running shoes. The Ultrafly 3 has a 25 mm thick sole under the heel and should therefore be suitable for as many athletes as possible regardless of their weight.
Are these shoes suitable for running a marathon or half marathon?
This Topo road shoe is perfectly adapted to different types of distances and training. So you can use it for all kinds of daily training. As for the marathon, it depends above all on your preferences. If you find this shoe comfortable for your long outings then there should be no problem.
1 review for Topo Athletic Ultrafly 3
4.0 out of 5
Write a review