Hoka One One Speedgoat 4
The Hoka One One Speedgoat 4 is an excellent comfortable trail running shoe destined for the most technical terrains.
Analysis of reviews
- Great comfort
- Excellent grip
- Maximum cushioning and responsive at the same time
- New upper with a broader toe area
- Robust, durable design
- Versatile: even though the SG4 excels above all on rugged terrain, it will also be suitable for small dirt roads with no particular technical skills.
- Slightly heavier than the previous model
Specification: Hoka One One Speedgoat 4
- The outsole of the Hoka One One Speedgoat 4 uses the Vibram Megagrip Hi-Traction technology. This is a durable rubber that provides great traction on the most technical trail terrains with its effective grip.
- Also, the aggressive 5 mm lugs increase the traction of the sole by providing a secure grip on uphill and downhill slopes, even on wet terrains.
- Finally, the flex grooves allow the sole to follow the movements of the foot while running for a smoother ride.
- Injection molded EVA foam is used in the entire length of the midsole on this trail model. This foam is light and soft to provide comfortable cushioning while running in the outdoors. It absorbs shocks and allows you to run comfortably on rocky surfaces.
- Besides, we also find one of the brand’s flagship technologies: Balanced Stage Meta-Rocker Geometry. This design aims to encourage runners to adopt naturally midfoot strike. It’s this technology that gives a slightly curved shape to the sole to naturally start a rocking motion while running. This, in turn, is supposed to optimize propulsion by maximizing energy return.
- The upper of the Hoka One One Speedgoat 4 features a breathable and flexible engineered mesh to ensure effective foot lockdown in all conditions.
- The midfoot area features overlays and a structural cage to improve lockdown and increase the lifespan of the shoe by preserving its shape over time.
- Finally, the shoe featured a reinforced toe cap to protect the feet from painful and potentially dangerous shocks when trail running.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
How do the Hoka Speedgoat 4 shoes fit?
Is this shoe suitable for ultramarathon?
Is the Speedgoat 4 waterproof?
Comparisons – Hoka One One Speedgaot 4 vs :
Hoka Speedgoat 3
These two models are very similar, with relatively few changes from the third to the fourth iterations. The Speedgoat 3 being much cheaper, it seems an obvious choice if you are looking for the best possible value for money. However, if you have wide feet, the Speedgoat 4 is more likely to be adapted to your morphology because its upper is wider at the toe level.
Hoka One Evo Speedgoat
In addition to their names, these two models have similar configurations with the same stack height (32 mm under the heel) and the same drop (4 mm). However, the Evo Speedgoat is softer and much lighter (40 grams less), which makes it more comfortable but also less secure in terms of foot lockdown. This may not be optimal on highly technical surfaces. Besides, although very good, the grip is also slightly inferior on the Evo Speedgoat compared to the Speedgoat 4.
Nike Air Zoom Terra Kiger 5
These two shoes are reference trail models, but they have very different configurations with a much lower cushioning on the Terra Kiger 5: 24 mm under the heel compared to 32 mm for the Speedgoat 4. Thus, the SG4 is a maximalist shoe that offers high-stack cushioning. Otherwise, comfort is there, and the grip is excellent in both cases. It is, therefore, primarily a matter of preference in terms of cushioning.